Monday, January 25, 2016

My day with Raymond Blanc


It might seem a little off topic but I wanted to share the story (read: brag) about the time I met famous chef Raymond Blanc, at the gorgeous Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons - his two Michelin star Restaurant and Hotel in Great Milton, Oxfordshire. 

Pretty sure we were just whisking wine for the sake of a photo. Also, ahhhh!
While working as a journalist in London, my editor noticed I had an obvious enthusiasm for writing about the food and beverage industry, and managed to produce some strong supplements on the topic featuring interesting profiles on well-known characters in the culinary arts. I was absolutely thrilled to meet with chefs and chat to like old friends about their careers, the love of food and the culture that surrounds it. To be able to write about their world was such a pleasure, I couldn't believe I was getting paid for it.

The best of these, however, was when my editor acted on that discovery and allowed me to travel to Oxfordshire to meet Mr Blanc, interview him on the value of food to family and community, and the importance of learning how to cook. As I was to meet with him bright and early for an interview, Mr Blanc's reps also offered a free night's stay in his beautiful Manor-style hotel and even do a full-day cooking class with head tutorthe wonderful Mark Peregrine. Oh well, if I must! *cough* omgyesplease.

Peregrine working on some creative desserts.
It was early days for me back then and yet it has been the highlight of my career. I have taken away so much from that day, from simple and effective cooking tips, the honour of having spent time with such a great chef, being given the behind the scenes tour of a bustling two-Michelin star kitchen, but also the incredible way to utilise vegetables, fruits and herbs to create an amazing meal. I witnessed firsthand the grand Le Manoir vegetable gardens being tended to with such love and care, Mr Blanc's passion for fresh and seasonal high quality produce, and the science behind the preparation and cooking of the food - the molecular gastronomy with which he prepares his dishes. 

Growing up in France, Blanc told me his meals were mostly vegetarian, with the occasional meat-based meal as a treat. His mother, or his 'maman', was a great inspiration to him, creating beautiful meals out of vegetables that he has shared with the world today, and thank goodness for Maman Blanc. I definitely encourage any readers to check out Raymond Blanc's BBC series from a while back, How to Cook Well, in which he shares tips on how to master the basics of cooking for a variety of creative and delicious meat and vegetable based dishes. The show is far from vegetarian, but demonstrates the delicacy and often, the simplicity, in his creations. Having sampled, and even created, many of his veggie-based dishes myself, I can safely give it a big thumbs up.  




If you ever find yourself in Britain with a bit of extra cash, definitely splurge on a stay and/or a cooking class at the Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons. In Australia we flock to Heston Blumenthal and The Fat Duck as our token Aussie gastronomy master, and while Blumenthal himself was actually trained at Le Manoir under Raymond Blanc, he aims to dazzle with a sense of high art and exclusivity. This is certainly exciting for the masses, including myself, however I find this approach secondary to the open and colourful environment at Le Manoir. 'Welcome', it seemed to say, 'let us teach you the skills, and share our secrets, so that you may know the joy of food and cooking'. The six-course meal with wine was just an exquisite bonus. This is perhaps highlighted by the fact that Blanc was the only chef willing to take on Blumenthal as a trainee, despite no catering or cooking experience. 

Certainly very little could ever top this experience, and what a privilege it was to have it as part of my job description. 

No comments:

Post a Comment